At Catnic we have pledged to reduce our carbon footprint to become a Net Zero Business by 2030. To achieve this aim we are focussing on decarbonisation of our plant and products, maximising our material efficiency, developing more sustainable products and achieving biodiversity net gain at our sites.
A part of Tata Steel’s UK business, we have now committed to formally adopt SBTs and we are currently commencing work with SBTi to achieve a 1.5° trajectory. This will align with our public declaration to achieve CO2 neutral steel making by 2045 at the latest.
Tata Steel’s UK business is committed to reducing our emissions, with the ambition of achieving CO2 neutral steel making by 2045 at the latest and achieving at least a 30% reduction in CO2 emissions by 2030 (compared to 2018 levels). To achieve this we are looking at a range of technology options and are holding detailed discussions with the UK Government.
Catnic is the only UK lintel manufacturer to be certified to BES 6001, maximising the potential for obtaining credits under the Responsible Sourcing of Materials sections of BREEAM.
In 2010 Catnic achieved the Environmental Management Standard ISO 14001 recognition of its environmental management policy. Our products are durable, adaptable, reusable and recyclable. Through our research and development activities, we are continuing to develop products that give additional social and environmental benefits to our customers and society as a whole.
However, we recognise that in our day to day operations we impact upon the environment in a number of ways. Therefore we are committed to achieving continual improvement in our environmental performance and pollution prevention and in supporting government policy for sustainable development.
In particular we will:
- Integrate environmental management into all our business activities.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant local, national and international legislation and regulations.
- Ensure all staff, including contractors, actively supports our environmental programmes.
- Communicate our environmental policy to all interested internal and external parties and respond appropriately to requests for information.
We will seek to reduce our environmental impacts and improve sustainability through improvements in:
- Energy efficiency and water consumption.
- Waste management and in particular a reduction of the amount of waste we send to landfill.
- Contract management and purchasing.
This policy will be reviewed at least annually and will form the basis of all future environmental improvements.
Global Warming Potential (GWP)
The expanded polystyrene (EPS) incorporated into our pre-insulated lintels does not use, contain or produce formaldehyde, CFC’s or indeed any so called soft CFC’s (i.e. HCFC’s and HFA’s). The manufacturer of our insulation product have quoted a GWP < 5 for the finished product.
Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP)
The product conforms to the Montreal Protocol and has an ozone depletion potential of zero. The material content and manufacture of EPS has no major negative impact on the environment.
Health and Safety Policy
Catnic actively work towards Tata Steel’s own international safety rating system and have one of the highest scores among all Tata Steel manufacturing sites in the UK.
- We believe that all our activities can be undertaken safely and we will never compromise safety.
- We will conduct our business in a way that ensures the health and well-being of our employees, contractors and any person affected by our activities.
- Everyone in Tata Steel has responsibility for their own and others’ health and safety.
- We know that continuous improvement of our health and safety performance is essential for a successful company.
- We will encourage a health and safety culture in Catnic, you can find the latest policy document here